Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Med school so far

Hello! Anyone still reading this?

In case you are, just thought I'd update you on how medical school is going. People always say med school is hard, but it's hard to know what that means until you really go through it. It's like having not one job, but two jobs. Because you have to go to class or lab all day, and then you have to come back home and study all night. In the beginning, to save time I took fewer showers! Hahaha, I know that's really gross, I stopped doing that. Especially since Anatomy started and people can smell you half a block away. As long as you stick with medical students they'll know you smell like that for a reason, but I think other people would be a little weirded out. Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to test this out on unassuming strangers because I have been studying all of the time.

Maybe the most interesting class is Anatomy. Our professor is about 6'5" and super skinny with wrinkly skin. He is funny and personable, but he definitely looks just like a cadaver. The first day he tried to demonstrate the elasticity of the skin, but when he pinched his skin it stayed pinched and didn't bounce back. His response was, "Oh, I guess I just be dehydrated." Haha.

Dissecting a human is really fascinating if you can get over the fact that it is a dead person. I still can't really look at the face, I put something over it. My group's cadaver died of lung cancer, so he wasted away and is super skinny. It's really difficult to cut through him and not cut through muscle by accident. Today two out of eight of my group members went into lab and opened the chest. They used a bone saw to cut open the ribs and left only the part closest to the head attached, so they reflected the ribcage back over the face. My friend saw my cadaver and said he has a huge tumor on the side of one of his lungs. I'll get to see it tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. aww med school sounds really cool, despite all the work! good luck!!!

    p.s. I still read your blog! Though probably a lot later after you post, since I have grad school classes and a job...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still read!! Med school sounds intense. Keep updating -- I still want to know what's up with your life.

    ReplyDelete