One of my favorite things to do is go to the market in Taiwan. Every day
there are neighborhood markets on side streets turned into pedways.
Vendors line the sides of the narrow pedway and the market is covered by
a canopy to block out the hot sun. The one we went to was a mixture of
groceries, clothes, and other random crap. Here is a picture below.
The market is crazy crowded and people are shouting in sing-song voices at you from every direction to try a fishball or buy 2 shirts for NT$100 (about US$3). Last time I was in Taipei I came to the market so many times and each time I tried all the free samples that they started to recognize me and deny me free samples. I love that the produce is so fresh and there is a huge variety. As an example of how fresh the food is, here is a picture of a chicken meat stand. The live chickens are housed directly under the table! Some poor chicken is probably sitting under its own brother's dead body right here.I like this picture just because I love bakery goods. You can see the ribbons twirling above the baked goods to keep the flies away.
And this picture is fun because if you ever want ten pounds of dried baby shrimp, now you know where to find it!
Apparently today was the last day of the Ghost Month, so there was an area designated to praying to ghosts with beautiful flower easel displays and altars set up where you could light incense. I get really excited when I see people worshiping in Taiwan because it seems so foreign. I think my aunt who took us to the market is not very religious, so whenever I ask to go to a temple or show interest in this type of thing she gives me this curious look.
Two out of four guys are in this picture, playing music to worship the ghosts. The stage in back is for Chinese opera, which happens later at night. We actually walked through the market two more times. When we walked through in the afternoon, all the vendors had incense burning among their goods, which means they are offering the goods to the ghosts. Since the smoke from the incense is rising, this causes the essence of whatever they are offering to rise too. People were also burning fake money to offer to the ghosts. The third and last time we walked through the market at night when they were performing Chinese opera.
If you've never seen or heard this before, it can be very bizarre. The actors all put on a falsetto voice that is a mixture of a song and a whine, and their faces are all painted white with very heavy make-up. And everyone is dressed like a woman, even if your character is male. You can tell some characters are male because their voice and clothes are slightly different. The performance was very whimsical, with people casually watching outside in the night and the stage as the only bright thing. The whole thing was in Taiwanese so I couldn't understand a word.
I want to go to Taiwan! Everything sounds so different. I love the blog.
ReplyDelete