Sunday, July 4, 2010

Ah! I'm in Tajikistan!

Wow! I have arrived in Tajikistan! This country is definitely the most different country I've ever been to. Most of the women wear traditional dress, which is a long, loose tunic going to just under the knees and then pants underneath. I imagine women discussing what to wear. "What are you going to wear?" "A long tunic and pants, what about you?" "I was going to wear a long tunic and pants too!"

Tajik uses the Cyrillic alphabet, so I am basically illiterate here. I needed to buy shampoo and conditioner yesterday, and couldn't figure out what the word "conditioner" looked like. So I found a bottle that I knew was conditioner and compared the words from that label with the other labels of other bottles on the shelf. Haha.

Today I am going to go interview a Tajik wife! I am super excited, but also nervous. I hope they don't smack me for asking them about sex and condoms. This week I am doing two interviews in the subordinate districts around Dushanbe, and in the next couple weeks I am going to the Pamir mountains to interview people there.

1 comment:

  1. A loose tunic and pants sounds really comfy actually. That is kind of what I've been wearing around the house all summer - giant t-shirts and pajama pants. I hope you have an amazing time! I'm looking forward to seeing Tajikistan through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete