We had to put head scarves on, and my coworker wore a long-sleeved traditional dress while I wore a long skirt. We really had to struggle to get the hijabs on, mine kept falling off, and Dava my coworker kept saying she looked really ugly. Haha. Here is us finally ready to go.
There was no one in them mosque, since it was Sunday, everyone's day off. I felt like we were on a reconnaissance mission, women going where women were not allowed! We kept whispering for no good reason, just because we were nervous. The inside of the mosque was absolutely gorgeous. The mosque was made of blue tile, and immediately inside was a courtyard, which is the third picture below. The pictures I took are kind of bad and don't do it justice, since I was nervous.
We also went to the girls' school that was attached to the mosque. I would be so pissed if I was a girl at the school, because the minaret from the mosque towers over the school, taunting all the girls: you can't come here! They had a nice rose garden though, here is me in my conservative dress. I have no idea why I'm laughing like that.
Yesterday I went to a bazaar called Shoktmansur. It was enormous! They sell produce, cloth, clothes, chests, cribs, lots of random hardware, and lots of other crap I can't remember. A couple places were selling dried fruits and nuts in bulk, which I thought looked pretty. I wanted to take a picture of one of these stations, and this woman at the station was a very good business woman. She was incredibly pushy, so I bought a shit-ton of raisins from her. They are a weird bluish color, I don't know why, and they still have the stems on them. They're pretty tasty though.
Today I went to a nearby village called Hushyori. The area and drive up were unbelievably picturesque. We passed by a town called Varzob, which is a recreational area that I am very bitter that I have not been to, since I was invited by the Americans but had to do something that day. It was really nice though, the mountains are all around, with snow-capped mountains in the distance, and the Varzob River running through the mountains.
I interviewed a wife of a migrant worker today, and I was incredibly frustrated by the experience! All these people kept interrupting the interview, and she was super shy and embarrassed to talk about personal issues. These guys in a car came up and wanted to take my picture while I was doing the interview, I was so annoyed! And they didn't leave, they just sat there in the car trying to get my picture. I felt like a zoo animal. It was OK though, because they left after a little while, and when we finished the interview and turned the tape recorder off, suddenly she started telling me every personal detail of her life. It was great.
Also during the interview, some donkeys with grass on their backs passed by! I thought this looked very rural and romantic (as romantic as donkeys can be). Here is a picture.
And one last thing, President Rahmon has a million and one houses, even though Tajikistan is the poorest country of the former Soviet Union. He has a very stately one in Varzob, as seen here from the car window. It is actually much bigger and has very large grounds. When Dava pointed it out to me, I didn't quite see it and just said, "Oh." But when I got a real look at it, my jaw dropped open and I said, "OH!"
Also, who is still reading this? No one posts comments anymore. :(
I am! Keep writing.
ReplyDeleteI am reading too! I have been super busy with work and personal stuff.
ReplyDeleteI just got back from vacation and read 4 posts in a row! It's really interesting so keep writing! I'm happy you got to go in a mosque, but I'm sure the head scarf was really awkward. I'd think it was horrifying, but I'm sure that's just me. I loved your comment about Clay's demeanor. lol.
ReplyDeleteI am not reading.
ReplyDeleteHaha, yay! People are reading! :D
ReplyDeleteI read too.
ReplyDeleteYou are weird.
And a creeper.
Like that weird U.S. Embassy dude...
the donkeys are very romantic and provincial looking. I would have taken a picture of that too.
ReplyDeleteRemember Yasmin, our RA freshman year? One time she helped me with hijab, and I felt weird wearing one even just for a short mosque visit. Also, I thought my face looked fat (but that's just me being shallow).
ReplyDeleteI like the pictures of the market. I would love to see the rest of them!
My approach to blog reading is much like how I watch TV. I only check in every now and then so I can read multiple posts at a time, like a few chapters in a book. I hate having to wait an entire week before the next episode comes on. I would much rather the feeling of instant gratification, being able to read one post after another. So, I said all that to say, I am still reading.