Friday, July 2, 2010

Leaving for Tajikistan...Today!!

Ah! I am paralyzed with fear! My flight leaves for Frankfurt today at 10:20pm. I am flying first from Chicago to Frankfurt, then Frankfurt to Riga, Latvia, then Riga to Dushanbe, Tajikistan. Holy crap! It's going to take about 20 hours total. I'm worried about looking nasty when I arrive at 3:50am Dushanbe time, is it weird to wash my hair in the airport? My PI (principle investigator, meaning the head of the research project) in Tajikistan is going to pick me up, but I guess he'll probably be too groggy to notice me looking nasty anyway.

I guess I'm nervous to go to a developing country, about which I only know from internet research, and go interview women about how their husbands are cheating on them and giving them AIDS. With a translator. Holy crap, if I were one of those women I'd smack the little foreign girl across the face for insinuating that my husband was cheating on me! And that I had AIDS! WTF, what the hell am I doing???

It's OK though, actually I'm super excited. I love traveling to new places and learning about cultures, and I'm actually most looking forward to interviewing. It is exciting to learn about people and talk with people you don't know anything about. And I've done training and role playing for interviewing, so I know how to go about it in an inoffensive way.

Whew! Wish me luck! I'd better pack. Next post...Tajikistan! :D

2 comments:

  1. HOORAY!! I'm so excited/terrified for you.

    I don't think it's weird to freshen up at your final airport. You want to be presentable.

    Good luck! I'm sure the experience is going to be incredible.

    ReplyDelete