Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Japan is weird/ Arrival in Taiwan

Wow I've been awake for more than 24 hours! Woohoo! I kept falling asleep on my cousin and uncle in the car while they were showing us the sights from the highway.

On the thirteen hour plane ride, I sat in the last row in the middle between two very interesting people. The man who I talked to the most was a middle-aged man from Memphis who is a Pentecostal pastor. He talked to me a lot about speaking in tongues and his born-again experience, which was actually really interesting. At one point though he said he would tell me about methods of conversion and I said "yes" before hearing what he said. Whoops... :) Luckily he forgot about it or figured I was a lost cause.

The guy on my other side slept for 10 out of the 13 hours. When he came to after poking me in the head accidentally while he was sleeping for the last 10 hours, I was really annoyed with him but I immediately started to feel bad. His name was Matt, and he was visiting his one year old son in Vietnam, who lives with Matt's parents because Matt's son's mother died.

In more light-hearted news, the Japanese airport is weird for these three reasons:
1) The toilets have numerous buttons, one which makes a flushing noise. My mother said Japanese women are shy about people hearing them pee.
2) There are women standing all over the stores waiting to serve you and accost you with their politeness.
3) There are lots of people, but it is eerily quiet.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, dear... so many "interesting" people always accompany us on international flights. Makes for great stories, at least.

    And, I'm with you on the Japanese stuff... their bathroom-related customs are definitely weird. Also, they don't actually have toilet paper in most public restrooms... but they hand out tissue packets for free on the streets. I don't really get it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you can press a button that will make a flushing noise while you pee, but the toilet isn't actually flushing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, yeah, it doesn't flush! 

    ReplyDelete