Monday, June 28, 2010

Saturday June 26 - Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market and Angel Island

I actually returned to Chicago Sunday night, but I never got a chance to write about a few things, so I will write about them now.

I started Saturday by going to the Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market with one of my roommates, Becca. It is the largest, most diverse farmers' market in San Francisco (which is saying something, since SF is the land of the farmers' market) and probably the priciest as well. For example, cherries there were $7 per pound! When I type in "$7/pound" into Google, I find lobster that sells for that much! But the reason they are so expensive is because they are as sweet, juicy and succulent as any good lobster. Luckily the vendors give away lots of free samples. :)

Before Becca and I headed out, Becca saw online that one must carry dogs in carriers in order to bring them on public transportation, so we experimented with putting the apartment dog in a canvas bag so we could bring him. This amused us to a great extent. I guess it was funny because people usually only put boring, inanimate things into canvas bags, like books. Here is Becca holding the canvas bag with the dog Riley, and Julia looking on. Fyi, Becca is a calm Stanford student doing an internship in design for luxury sex toys, and Julia is an artist/cafe barista/self-proclaimed hipster.



So Becca and I hopped on the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) and made our way to the Farmers' Market. It really was huge, and they had so many delicious things that I wanted to buy. I had to restrain myself, because I wasn't going to be home any time soon and I was leaving San Francisco the next day. Becca bought some of these delicious looking bell peppers. I never knew they came in so many different color varieties. The purple ones are especially interesting to me. The vendor told us the white ones were premature and turn into the orangy-reddish-brown ones you see on the right. The vendor talked for around five long minutes about how the white ones were the best for stuffing because they were not as juicy, had thinner walls, and were less sweet so as not to detract from the stuffing. A woman had asked her which type of bell pepper would be best for stuffing, so the vendor was trying really hard to sell the pepper. The woman immediately tried to start buying the peppers once the vendor told her the white ones were the best, but the vendor kept talking and talking! It actually annoyed me, I just wanted the vendor to sell the damn peppers! Haha, anyway, they are beautiful, here is a picture.
There were also several musicians lining the farmers' market, including a very peppy old Chinese man playing the harmonica and an equally peppy bluegrass band. This man was also playing what seemed like a variant of an accordion.

I swear I'm not one of those weirdo girls who plans her wedding ten years in advance, but the accordion music was so beautiful that I thought I would like that at my wedding. It would also work well at a funeral; maybe if I say I want it at my funeral too it will seem less barf-in-my-mouth girly.

That was actually the last time I ever saw Becca, because my friend from college, Terry, picked me up from the farmers' market. Oops, I guess I should write Becca goodbye. Anyway, Terry and I went to Angel Island, which is a neato island in the bay north of San Francisco. The reason we went was actually pretty silly. Cori, one of the hippie-roommates, told me she went to Angel Island and it had beautiful ruins on it. Except Cori actually never told me this, and it was actually a dream I had. But before I realized it was a dream, I brought up Angel Island to Terry and we decided to go.

It actually ended up being gorgeous and really fun. The ferry to Angel Island is in Tiburon, which is conveniently where Terry lives. The city of Tiburon is beautiful and a mix of luxurious and quaint. The houses are perched in the hill facing the water, so most of the houses have a view of the bay. At the same time that most of the houses look magnificent and well-to-do, the town also has a sleepy coastal town feel.

Terry and I took the ferry over to Angel Island and hiked around in the afternoon. The island is situated in the bay north of San Francisco (and Tiburon is part of North Bay, which is land north of San Francisco across the water of the bay). We hiked up and up. The view as we hiked was so picturesque, we went really slow because I kept stopping to look at the bay.

Here is a picture we took at the top of the peak. It was so exciting to reach the top after all that hiking!

The views were gorgeous, and we could see all of the North Bay, although San Francisco to the south of us was covered in fog. I also wanted to get a triumphant pose for the top of the peak, so here is Terry doing just that (hehe).
And here is a picture of the gorgeous view that we were so triumphant about. The town Belvedere is on the left, and Tiburon with all the houses in the hill is on the right. You can barely see between Belvedere and Tiburon is a lagoon with water a slightly different color than ocean water.

One last thing, on our way back to San Francisco we passed over the Golden Gate Bridge and drove behind these goofy kids. I felt sort of creepy, taking pictures of random kids. They couldn't do anything about it though, strapped in and facing us. Haha.


You can see the red bridge in the fog in the picture as well. It was super fun to wave at them and be goofy. However, another car with young adults cut in front of us, and then they started being all goofy with the kids! And they outdid Terry and I! They made faces, and the kids got really excited. Then they started squirting at the kids with a water gun! When Terry and I returned to our place behind the kids' car, the boy was still waving at us, and the girl motioned like she was pointing out we were not the cool car, and we were a different boring car. Boo! We were outdone!

No comments:

Post a Comment